- 0 likes
- 450 views
- 0 comments
There is a big difference between light and dark honey. What makes honey darker? And why should you care? In this blog post, we will answer your questions about dark honey.
What is Dark Honey?
Dark honey is a kind of honey that has a dark brown or dark-amber color, in contrast to light honey, which is whitish or light amber. Like all kinds of honey, dark honey is produced by bees that harvest the nectar of certain flowers, break it down into sugar, and deposit it in a honeycomb, where humans can collect it. Different colors of honey come from different floral sources, though certain flowers bloom year-round and may produce lighter or darker honey, depending on the time of year.
Dark honey usually has a more intense, spicy taste than light honey. Some darker honey varieties include buckwheat, black butt, wildflower, thyme, dandelion, jarrah, chestnut, meadow, and Manuka honey, many of which contain a high concentration of antioxidants and other powerful nutrients.
Benefits of Dark Honey
- High in antioxidants, which can help fight free radicals and protect your body against disease.
- Anti-inflammatory, which can help reduce inflammation throughout the body.
- Antibacterial properties can help kill bacteria and improve gut health.
What Is the Difference Between Dark Honey and Light Honey?
There are a few differences between dark honey and light honey:
1. Color: Dark honey is dark amber or dark brown in color. Other honey has a water-white or amber color.
2. Nutritional value: Studies have shown that dark honey contains less water and more nutrients than lighter honey. Illinois buckwheat flower nectar—used to make Buckwheat honey—contains a high number of nutrients, almost 20 times the amount compared with lighter honey.
3. Taste: Dark honey has a more intense and “pungent” taste than light honey, which tastes milder.
Which one is better? Light or Dark Honey
The truth is that there is no correct answer when deciding which type of honey is better or worse.
All honey has beneficial properties for our health. Therefore, choosing light or dark honey depends mainly on what benefits you are looking for.
We must remember that if we want to relax, relieve stress, or sweeten food, we could resort to different types of honey instead of sugar. You can buy the best types of honey at the best price and fast shipping to Canada and USA at the Cyruscrafts store.