Handmade Rugs & Carpets
Iranian handmade rugs and carpets have been very famous since ancient times. As every country and nationality has a special symbol, it can be boldly said that handmade rugs are one of the important symbols of Iran. Many people who are interested in rugs and the art of rug weaving believe that the best, most beautiful and highest quality carpets and rugs belong to Iran!
However, since the beginning of creation, human beings have been looking for a way to cover the ground of their habitat to prevent the cold and stiffness of the earth. In the beginning, they used animal skins and wool for this purpose, but research shows that Iranian hand-woven rugs date back to the Achaemenid and several hundred years BC.
In Persian, the term “carpet” or “rug” has concepts such as underlayment, flooring, etc. Iranian handmade rugs have a unique variety in terms of material, size, color, design or motif, and production method; and each design has its name and specifications. Among the cities of Iran, Tabriz and Kashan have a higher percentage of the share of production of Iranian handmade rugs and also its export to other countries.
The culture and civilization of each country consist of different parts an important part of which is dedicated to works of art. One of the original and magnificent works of Iranian art is handmade carpets or rugs. Over time, both the variety of handmade rug designs and the fans of this beautiful art have increased; so that many people, use handmade rugs and wall-mount decorative rugs to decorate their homes.
Types of handmade rugs and carpets in terms of size
Iranian handmade rugs are produced in different dimensions and sizes, which have different names depending on their size. For example, rugs with dimensions of 2x3 m2 or slightly larger are called carpets and rugs smaller than 4 square meters are called area rugs or small carpets.
Another type of handmade rug with a length of about 3 to 4 m2 and a width of less than 2 m2 is also called a scatter rug.
runner rug is another type of handmade rug that is usually used for corridors and stairs. The width of this rug is small and its length can range from 2 to 5 or even 7 meters depending on the size of the corridor.
there are also smaller rugs that are woven to the size of the front door, which is known as doormat.
Different Iranian handmade carpets in terms of design or motifs
Each of the cities of Iran uses its unique design or motifs in carpet or rug weaving; and therefore, a look at an Iranian handmade carpet or rug shows which city it belongs to. Among the different regions of Iran, the cities of Isfahan, Kashan, and Tabriz have unique and more famous handmade carpets and rugs than other cities!
- Kashan handmade rugs and carpets: Not only among Iranians but all over the world, Kashan handmade carpets and rugs are of the most popular handmade rugs produced and offered with excellent quality and in special and various designs (motifs) and colors. The beauty and quality of Kashan handmade rugs are so limitless that they are bought and sold in many countries and different cultures and used as an original decorative products.
- Tabriz handmade rugs and carpets: Tabriz hand-made rugs are so beautiful and popular in the world that almost everyone knows about the art of rug weaving and the production of handmade rugs in this city. The motifs and colors that Tabrizians use in the texture of their rugs are also very special and attractive. Tabriz has been the cradle of Iranian handmade carpet and rug production in unique, eye-catching, and elegant designs and motifs since ancient times.
- Isfahan handmade rugs: Isfahan is also one of the cities that has many artists and weavers in the field of rug weaving. Isfahan handmade rugs also have a delicate texture and beautiful designs that are indescribable. In addition to the mentioned cities, Qom and Nain are also famous for carpet and rug weaving.
Types of handmade rugs in terms of the local style
Iranian handmade rugs can be divided into three categories in terms of local style:
- One of these three types of handmade rugs is nomadic. Nomadic rugs have basic and simple designs and motifs mostly inspired by nomadic and tribal living environments. The dimensions of the handmade nomadic rugs are generally small but their texture is coarse. Other signs of nomadic rugs are short woolen tassels that are attached to the rug at certain distances. The edges of this rug also have a complex texture pattern.
- Rustic rugs are another type of local handmade rug. These rugs often have a very simple design and are woven in an improvisational way. This means that there is no ready-made plan and the weaver creates them with his own experience and taste.
- The last type of handmade rug is the urban rug and as its name suggests, it is woven and produced in cities. Generally, this model of handmade rugs is prepared by urban people with a special design.
One of the characteristics of hand-woven urban rugs is the high warp density and its elegance.
Types of handmade rugs & Carpets in terms of weaving style
Handmade rugs fall into three categories in terms of how they are woven and how the warp and weft are placed together.
- All-curled rugs: When weaving this type of rug, the knot arches are placed behind the rug at an angle of 90 degrees leading to the creation of deep grooves behind it. The threads of this kind of rugs are placed apart from each other and create a strong texture.
- Curled rugs: In the texture of the hand-woven curled rug, a gap of one yarn diameter is placed between each warp and the rug becomes a flat fabric. This type of rugs is woven like a mat in such a way that in each ridge, the warp is turned upside down, which makes the threads be seen alternately from behind the rug.
- Half-curled rugs: The texture of the half-curled rugs is done in such a way that the knot arches are placed behind the rug at an angle of 45 degrees According to all the contents mentioned about handmade rugs, you can prepare the most suitable rugs and complete your home decoration.
Cyruscrafts collection with specialized activity in the field of preparing, selling, and exporting the best samples of handmade rugs and carpets, provides you with high quality and inimitable products so that you can experience a wonderful and unique feeling in the decoration of your home or workplace.