Handmade Rugs & Carpets
Iranian handmade rugs and carpets have been very famous since ancient times. As every country and nationality has a special symbol, it can be boldly said that handmade rugs are one of the important symbols of Iran. Many people who are interested in rugs and the art of weaving believe that the best, most beautiful and highest quality carpets belong to Iran!
However, since the beginning of creation, human beings have been looking for a way to cover the ground of their habitat to prevent the cold and stiffness of the earth. In the beginning, they used animal skins and wool for this purpose, but research shows that Iranian hand-woven rugs date back to the Achaemenid and several hundred years BC.
In Persian, the term "carpet" or "rug" has concepts such as underlayment, flooring, etc. Iranian handmade rugs have a unique variety in terms of material, size, color, design or motif, and production method; and each design has its name and specifications. Among the cities of Iran, Tabriz and Kashan have a higher percentage of the share of production of Iranian handmade carpets and also its export to other countries. This home accessory can be the focal point in decoration.
The culture and civilization of each country consist of different parts, an important part of which is dedicated to works of art. One of the original and magnificent works of Iranian art is handmade carpets. Over time, both the variety of handmade rug designs and the fans of this beautiful art have increased; so that many people, use handmade rugs and wall-mount decorative rugs to decorate their living room.
Handmade rugs and carpets in terms of size
Iranian handmade rugs are produced in different dimensions and sizes, which have different names depending on their size. For example, rugs with dimensions of 2x3 m2 or slightly larger are called carpets smaller than 4 square meters are called area rugs or small carpets.
Another type of handmade rug with a length of about 3 to 4 m2 and a width of less than 2 m2 is also called a scatter rug.
runner rug is another type of handmade rug that is usually used for corridors and stairs. The width of this rug is small and its length can range from 2 to 5 or even 7 meters depending on the size of the corridor.
there are also smaller rugs that are woven to the size of the front door, which is known as a doormat.
Persian handmade carpets in terms of design or motifs
Each of the cities of Iran uses its unique design or motifs in rug weaving; and therefore, a look at an Iranian handmade carpet or rug shows which city it belongs to. Among the different regions of Iran, the cities of Isfahan, Kashan, and Tabriz have unique and more famous handmade rugs than other cities!
- Kashan rugs: Not only among Iranians but all over the world, Kashan carpets and rugs are of the most popular rugs produced and offered with excellent quality and in special and various designs (motifs) and colors. The beauty and quality of Kashan handmade rugs are so limitless that they are bought and sold in many countries and different cultures and used as an original decorative products.
- Tabriz handmade carpets: Tabriz hand-made carpets are so beautiful and popular in the world that almost everyone knows about the art of rug weaving and the production of handmade rugs in this city. The motifs and colors that Tabrizians use in the texture of their rugs are also very special and attractive. Tabriz has been the cradle of Iranian carpet production in unique, eye-catching, and elegant designs and motifs since ancient times.
- Isfahan rugs: Isfahan is also one of the cities that has many artists and weavers in the field of rug weaving. Isfahan handmade rugs also have a delicate texture and beautiful designs that are indescribable. In addition to the mentioned cities, Qom and Nain are also famous for carpet weaving.
Persian handmade rugs in terms of the local style
Iranian handmade rugs can be divided into three categories in terms of local style:
- One of these three types of handmade rugs is nomadic. Nomadic rugs have basic and simple designs and motifs mostly inspired by nomadic and tribal living environments. The dimensions of the handmade nomadic rugs are generally small but their texture is coarse. Other signs of nomadic rugs are short woolen tassels that are attached to the rug at certain distances. The edges of this product also have a complex texture pattern. these types of flooring are suitable for high traffic areas.
- Rustic rugs are another type of local handmade rug. These rugs often have a very simple design and are woven in an improvisational way. This means that there is no ready-made plan and the weaver creates them with his own experience and taste.
- The last type of Persian rug is the urban rug and as its name suggests, it is woven and produced in cities. Generally, this model of handmade rugs is prepared by urban people with a special design.
One of the characteristics of hand-woven urban rugs is the high warp density and its elegance.
Handmade rugs & Carpets in terms of weaving style
Persian rugs fall into three categories in terms of how they are woven and how the warp and weft are placed together.
- All-curled rugs: When weaving this type of flooring, the knot arches are placed behind the rug at an angle of 90 degrees leading to the creation of deep grooves behind it. The threads of this kind of rugs are placed apart from each other and create a strong texture.
- Curled rugs: In the texture of the hand-woven curled rug, a gap of one yarn diameter is placed between each warp and the rug becomes a flat fabric. This type of rug is woven like a mat in such a way that in each ridge, the warp is turned upside down, which makes the threads be seen alternately from behind the rug.
- Half-curled rugs: The texture of the half-curled rugs is done in such a way that the knot arches are placed behind the rug at an angle of 45 degrees According to all the contents mentioned about rugs, you can prepare the most suitable rugs and complete your home decoration of the living room and high traffic areas.
Price of Persian hand woven rugs
The reason for the high price of Persian hand-woven carpets is a question that may have arisen for you as well. To conclude whether these prices are fair or not, we must first examine several factors affecting the price of Iranian carpets.
The first factor to consider is the most valuable human asset, time! It takes months and even years to weave a Persian hand-knotted carpet. The more delicate texture of these products (silk rugs), the longer it will take to weave.
Persian rugs are knotted by hand, which means thousands of knots are tied to make these beautiful perfect ones.
Other influential factors in the price of Persian carpets include their quality and material. Iranian hand-knotted rugs are usually woven with silk or natural wool. Silk itself has a very high price. Also, its fine texture takes a lot of time to weave, which raises the price of this category of carpets.
Persian carpets worldwide have become a valuable asset that, even after long-term use, not only its value does not decrease, but also increases. So its lifetime is considerably long without losing quality.
Here at Cyruscrafts, you can buy stunning handmade rugs at the best price with fast shipping to Canada and United States. Persian rug’s price depends on the quality, packaging, material, density of knots, dyeing and approximately can vary between $289 to $47000.
Cyruscrafts collection with specialized activity in the field of preparing, selling, and exporting the best samples of rugs and carpets to Canada and USA, provides you with high quality and inimitable products so that you can make a wonderful and unique focal point in the decoration of the living room, bedroom and high traffic areas.