- Persian Tasty
- 0 likes
- 106 views
- 0 comments
Rice, lentils, dried fruit, and Middle Eastern spices are all part of Adas Polo's traditional and healthy Persian side dish. Adas polo is one of the most typical Iranian rice preparations and has a very particular taste as it combines savour with sweetness. In Persian, the word adas means "lentils", while polo (or polow) is used for rice. This dish has Mediterranean origins, and although it is not known for certain, it is believed that it may have first appeared during ancient Persia.
Dried fruits make this recipe delicious. Combining it with the Iranian rice in the Cyruscrafts store will create a delicious and easy-to-make dish.
If you live in a large city in Canada or USA, you'll likely have access to a local Middle Eastern or Persian restaurant that serves authentic Adas Polo. But if you prefer to cook your lentil rice recipe, follow this simple method and enjoy a tasty meal together as a family.
Adas Polo Ingredients
- Lentils: You can use regular green or brown lentils that are easily available. Make sure to consider the colors of the dried fruits used while choosing the type of lentils.
- Rice: Choose high-quality long-grain Iranian rice. For example, Hashemi white rice is traditional, but you may try brown rice too. Ask for the premium variety of popular rice brands at the Cyruscrafts Persian online store.
- Onions: Regular yellow or white onions are fine for this recipe.
- Meat (optional): Ground meat is an easy and quick choice. But traditionally, lamb shoulder is used. If you are a vegetarian, you can skip this ingredient.
- Saffron: Select high-quality Iranian saffron and grind it in a mortar with a pinch of salt. More on saffron in the Saffron store.
- Oil: Regular olive oil works very well for this. Any cooking oil without a strong flavor should be fine.
- Raisins: I chose golden raisins (sultanas), but you may also use black raisins. If you want more information about black raisins, read the article on black raisins.
- Dates: Medjool dates or Ruttab dates are easily available and work well in this recipe. They are soft and easy to bite into.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, and turmeric.
Adas Polo Recipe
Soak the rice for four hours in 5 cups (1.245 litres) of cold water with 2 tablespoons of salt after rinsing it in cold water.
Soak the lentils for four hours in plenty of water after rinsing them in cold water.
Cooking of the lentils
- Pour washed lentils into a saucepan and pour over 2½ cups of cold water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then, as soon as it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer over low heat, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender.
- Towards the end of cooking, add ¼ teaspoon of salt and stir.
- Drain the lentils and set them aside.
- Drain the rice.
- Bring 6 cups (1,5 litre) of water, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and half a teaspoon of salt to a boil in a large non-stick pot.
- Drain the rice and pour it into the boiling water.
- Let the rice boil over medium heat for 8 minutes, covered or until ready. It must be a little firm.
- Drain and rinse the rice in cold water to help separate the grains of rice and make the rice softer.
Cooking of the Adas Polo
- Heat 5 tablespoons of ghee over medium heat in a large non-stick Dutch oven.
- Pour a layer of rice into the pot.
- Pour a layer of lentils on top, then another layer of rice, continuing the layers with all the rice and all the lentils.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes on high heat until the rice is steaming, then lower the heat and cook the rice on very low heat for another 30 minutes after covering the pot with a large towel.
- While the rice is cooking, heat 4 tablespoons of the ghee in a large skillet and sauté the onions over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the ground meat, dates, and raisins with onions. Add turmeric, advice, cinnamon, and salt to taste.
- Stir well and sauté until the meat is evenly browned. Set aside.
- Dissolve the saffron in 3 tablespoons of boiling water.
- Remove the lid and the large towel from the rice and lentil pot, combine the layers of rice and lentils, and add the infusion of saffron and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the mixture.
- Place the lid and the large towel back on the pot and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes more.
- Serve the rice garnished with a mixture of raisins, barberry, and meat.
|Number of Servings||4|
|Calories (per 100gr)||224kcal|
|Fat Content (per 100gr)||4gr|
You can serve Adas Polo with a bowl of salad Shirazi, I also love to serve this food with a bowl of plain yogurt mixed with mint.